Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Weight goes up with age, but BMI can still be healthy - so am I okay?

I hear this again and again - we should avoid gaining weight as we age (at all costs), but for the vast majority of us (me included) weight does go up as we get older.

Now here's the thing that jams my brain up: If my BMI still remains healthy as my weight goes up, is that okay? (You can figure your BMI here . Just choose the adult or child version as appropriate.) And yes, my waist is still in the healthy range too, but my weight has gone up. Here's the confession - when I married Stephen I weighed
122 (oh how I miss that number). In my pregnancies I went up to 200 (that's where I stopped getting on the scale). I did make it back down to 125 for a while, but by my late 30s I was at 135, and now at 42, I'm between 140 and 145. I'm 5'6" - FYI. All of these weights come in at a healthy BMI for my height and age - so do I worry? Am I healthy?

I don't see this addressed in health venues - All the people I've ever written for and about seem to think that any weight gain is unhealthy, but I don't see the logic.

I'm looking for some guest writers (doctors maybe?) to weigh in on all this - let me know if you're interested. Or just post your comments here please. Toodles, Mar

1 comment:

  1. I know that the potential is that by 50 I will be overweight if I keep going at this rate - so I get that argument.

    ReplyDelete