Friday, February 5, 2010

Desert Vigil, Mindful PMSing, and cinnamon buns, mmmmm

spreading ashes

boys on the mtn
desert sky

Last week on 1/28/10 we spread Dad and Warren's ashes in Bow Willow as both of them requested. You can see all of us climbing up to the Ocotillo in the place Dad told us to go to. Dad said that he and Warren used to come back into this area because it had a great echo. Warren would play around on his recorder and the sounds would bounce off the surrounding rocks. The weather was amazing. Cool/Hot like only the desert can be. My brother Danny played us a Reilly and Maloney song (Inside of Me) that Dad used to sing, on Dad's Taylor guitar. We sat Dad and Warren's ashes on a beautiful Blanket that Diane Driver knit for my family while we all listened and shared about these two fantastic men. It's so like Warren and my dad to make last requests that forces all of us to get back out in the desert and the forest to commune (We'll get some of Dad's ashes up to the redwoods too). Thanks for getting us out there you two crazy ole guys.

Onto PMS and being mindful (don't worry, no pictures). I'm having good PMS days this cycle around. Really. It isn't an oxymoron (and neither am I). At 42, thanks to nightly night sweats, and daily hot flashes, not to mention insane mood swings I've learned the importance of appreciating the subtle ways I've been able to influence my PMS days (when I remain mindful).

Every month is not the same. Sometimes my PMS (usually, my family would say) arrives and I'm an emotional flighty basket case for a week, other times I'm able to channel it into more positive results, even if I don't always feel so great. That's what's happening this time, thankfully, and I think it has to do with the Buddhist factor. Specifically, with Pema Chodron's writings. If you haven't ever heard this incredible woman, consider checking her out. Thanks to one of my fabulous editors (and friend), Dianne Lange, who turned me onto Pema's book When Things Fall Apart I've been introduced to the idea of using her philosophy to address difficulties--physical, mental or emotional.

OOOH - time to back those yummy cinnamon buns. More on Pema and Mindful PMS later.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the photos of the desert, Mar. If there are more, let me know.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete