Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Input please. Duck off! You Elohssa. What's your favorite way to NOT cuss?

After my 13-er had another run in with his shoddy ability to control his impulses, Ben and I have come up with the following ways to cuss and not get busted for it. We've gone for Duck, Luck, Buck, or Schmuck - for you know what b/c it works in all it's forms: Duck off, Schmuck You, or Mother Lucker. Ben also likes to go for backwards words when it sounds right - like Elohssa (we say it "eee-low-sa").

What are your (and your kids') favorite ways of not cussing - or cussing creatively? And yes - I know the word is cursing - but cussing sounds so much better.

4 comments:

  1. I'm fond of saying "poopyhead." Partly because it just sounds so silly.

    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I like to say "Oh Fart" Or "God Bless America" - instead of GDammit).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working at the film festival in Abu Dhabi (which inspired much cussing) one of our coworkers shared a classic - "shut the front door!" I still can't even think about it without cracking up.

    I wonder, though, what changing the words gets us in the end - it's true we're not dropping f-bombs, but the intention is still there (like when I say "mother lover" instead of what I'd really say - you totally know what I mean). That part is much harder to change. And are we really not cussing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about the same things K, but I do think it shows some respect to not use words that might be offensive to others - in certain cases. I also feel like it helps me stay a little more conscious of my emotions when I make an effort to put humor in all these silly words. Still, your point is well taken - and I will always swear a red streak when I'm in the right company ;-). The point I try to get across to the boys is that there are different venues for different energies - and words relate to that I guess.

    Thanks for weighing in - I love the comments!

    ReplyDelete