Friday, February 5, 2010

Great morning, Friday night surprise, and dough recipe for sandwich bread, cinnamon rolls and much much more

Here you go everyone. My rolls were fabulous (Fabulous Darling!) if I do say so myself, see the recipe below if interested. Mar's Cafe is in it's third day of successful operation (save for the fact that I haven't done the dishes yet), and we just found out that the boys have a school function--no parents allowed! How cool is that? 
fantabulous!
Thanks for the requests - here's the recipe I've been making recently. 

It yields two loaves. You can also use the dough for the second loaf for yummy cinnamon rolls, and more...

A view from our stroll this morning. Pretty Nice.


Yes, yes, here's the Bread Recipe It's from author Deborah Madison:
This yields two loaves, and you can make it as healthy or as sinful as you like.

1. Put 2 and 1/4 tsp yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water, wait for 10 minutes to proof the yeast (it should bubble), I use a coffee mug for this.
2. In a large mixing bowl put 1 cup warm milk, 1 cup warm water, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1 TBSP Maple syrup (honey or sugar fine too), 2 and 1/2 tsp salt. Add proofed yeast (#1).
3. Stir in 2 cups flour with a wooden spoon (you can use whole wheat, all-purpose, or bread flour here)
4. Continue to add 5 more cups of flour (I try to do half and half so I end up with about 3 cups WW flour and 4 cups all-purpose, but you can go full fiber if you want). When it's too hard to stir any more, scrape down the sides and dump dough to knead.
5. Knead 5 to 7 minutes. Shape into a ball and put in a deep well-oiled bowl. Rise for 1 to 2 hours (until doubled in size). Should feel soft and supple.
6. Three options here:

  1. Continue by punching down the dough and then splitting into two equal size pieces. Let rest for about 10 minutes, then shape as you'll want to cook it: two loaves (you can put these in loaf pans, but I like to do free form breads), sandwich rolls, see below for cinnamon roll variation). Put on oiled baking sheet, or in pans. Cover and rise for 45 minutes to an hour. 
  2. If you need more time, punch down dough and return to rise another for another hour. Then continue.
  3. If you need or want a LOT more time you can cover dough with plastic and put in fridge until tomorrow, just let it return to room temperature, plus about an hour for a rise. 

7. During the last 15 minutes of the rise, preheat oven 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes. 

Cinnamon Rolls, from #6 above
You'll need a mixture of 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts (I just eye it). 
Take half the dough and roll into a 12 by 16 rectangle, sprinkle above mixture all over, roll up tightly from the 16 inch  side. Slice about an inch thick and put in a buttered or sprayed glass lasagne pan (or similar) cut side up. I did 3 across all the way down. 
*At this point you can cover the rolls with plastic and put them in the fridge overnight, you'll just need to bring back to room temp in the morning. Or you can cover the rolls with a towel and let rise for 40 minutes. 
*Bake at 375 for around 30 minutes. 

Put a cutting board on top of the finished rolls and flip over - the sugar will have carmelized the bottom. 
I whipped together a glaze with a little water, vanilla and powder sugar--just by eye-balling it and spread it on top (you could skip -but hey I am PMSing). Toodle-ho and happy weekend to everyone. Holler if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment