Knock Knock. Who's There? Orange you glad they're not watching TV?


This is a bit of what I see on the daily walks I take in my hood. As my neighbor put it:
"A lot of bounty, but not a lot of interest,"I had just been telling him that I'd like to use these trees as an opportunity to get my young teens out doing some community work. Yes, I want to get my hands on a bit of the grapefruits, lemons, avocados, figs, and oranges that are all within walking distance of my abode, but I also want to see less waste overall. Plus I suspect that several of my neighbors are elderly or unable for another reason. I'd like to do a little of "I'll scratch your back..." and also get to know my neighbors a bit. And finally, I need a way to get my boys out of the house, and off the screen. They do not like to play sports, walking is boring, and so is walking the dog--but this idea they like (as much as a teen ever likes a parents ideas). So it goes.
I have a letter in the works that I'm going to put in mailboxes around here. I'm sharing my above proposition and also inviting other parents who want to get their kids out to join us. Here's crossing my fingers that it'll work.
Stay tuned.


I think it is a terrific idea! And I am sure that if you end up getting too much of a harvest that you have something like "Second Harvest" which feeds low income and poor families...we've participated in harvesting an apple orchard for them. Please, keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eva - I was thinking of donations too. Great idea.
ReplyDelete